Wednesday, March 31, 2010

2012 Olympics Statue Chosen

UIn case people do not know, and that goes for those in the USA, the next Olympics are being held in England (I'm still hoping to get some tickets. Today it was announced that the design of monument to mark the London 2012 Olympic Games was a design by Turner Prize-winning artist Anish Kapoor.

Here Is The Article:

A spiraling sculpture designed by Turner Prize-winning artist Anish Kapoor has been chosen as the monument to mark the London 2012 Olympic Games.

The 115m tall piece, named the ArcelorMittal Orbit, will be placed in the Olympic Park and will be 22m higher than New York's Statue of Liberty.

The £19.1m design incorporates the five Olympic rings and will offer visitors panoramic views of London.

London Mayor Boris Johnson revealed plans for the tower on Wednesday.

"I am deeply honored to be invited to undertake this challenging commission," Kapoor said.

"I am particularly attracted to it because of the opportunity to involve members of the public in a particularly close and personal way. It is the commission of a lifetime."

The artist will work with leading structural designer, Cecil Balmond of engineering firm Arup.

ArcelorMittal Orbit will be built near the Olympic stadium

Organizers said Balmond had worked on "some of the greatest contemporary buildings in the world", including the CCTV building in Beijing, as well as numerous Serpentine Gallery pavilion commissions.

''Long after the Games are over, our aim is to have a stunning spectacle in east London that will be recognized around the world," Mr Johnson said.

"Anish Kapoor's inspired art work will truly encapsulate the energy and spirit of London during the Games and, as such, will become the perfect iconic cultural legacy.


Barry Eva (Storyheart)

My Blogs:
Book Information and Things UK - Across the Pond
Book and a Chat Radio Show Guests - A Book and a Chat
Funny, Weird Or Just Interesting News From Around the World - Laugh I Thought My Trousers Would Never dry

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations. I have to admit I've never much been into the Olympics, but it's great that your country is hosting them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could afford to be there, thank god it's when I am out of work for the summer! Well it's not The Bean, but I'm sure it will be great when done.

    ReplyDelete