Monday, April 20, 2009

Across the Pond - Six Months Down the line

It has been six months since my book Across the Pond (by Storyheart) was published. So much has happened in that time, am I a published author?

Today while checking out I contest came across the ruling definition of what was classed as a published author.

"We are using Romance Writers of America guidelines to determine publishing status. Anyone who has either: "(1) earned at least $1,000 in the form of an advance on a single novel or novella published by a non-subsidy, non-vanity publisher; or (2) who has earned at least $1,000 in the form of royalties or a combination of advance plus royalties on a single published novel or novella published by a non-subsidy, non-vanity publisher" is considered a published author and is not eligible to enter the contest."

So have I made $1000? No...
Did I get an advance of $1000? No...

So I guess I don't class as a published author.

Perhaps if I was Barack Obama writing details of what went on behind the scenes on the campaign trail. Margaret Thatcher on her years with Dennis, or Secrets of the next Harry Potter file. Perhaps if I detailed how Hulk Hugan's agent turned down the chance to promote the now "George Foreman" grill, choosing instead to put the Hulksters name to a now long forgotten food mixer. I might then be classed as an published author.

So what has happened in my 6 months?

Well I've won a couple of awards, I have coming up to a hundred reviews, over sixty on Amazon alone. I've chatted to people all over the world during a wonderful fun virtual book tour, made many new friends, been on radio and TV shows, visited schools and had lot's of fun.

People of all ages have enjoyed "Across the Pond", sharing their comments and encouragement through reviews, messages, blogs and emails. Even being compared with such great authors as Judy Blume.

So do I describe myself a published author?

Storyheart


Author of Young Adult Romance/Fiction book
Across the Pond
http://acrossthepond-storyheart.blogspot.com/
http://across-t-pond.com

3 comments:

  1. Yes, you're a published author! It's terrible the way some writing organizations are so snobbish.

    Morgan Mandel
    http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I have to link to this in a blog post some way. Barry, you are phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are awesome Barry! I say you are a very published author and you have many fans waiting excitedly for your next masterpiece (me being one of them, lol!!)

    ReplyDelete