Thursday, August 13, 2009

Views, Reviews and Weird Nature News



So what have I got to offer you in this weeks "Views, Reviews and for a change some Nature News

VIEWS:

Where do babies come from? What makes a rainbow? Why is the sky blue? these are some of the many questions that have left four out of five parents vexed by questions asked by their children. Here however are ten other crackers.

1) Why don't all the fish die when lightning hits the sea?

2) How much does the sky weigh?

3) Why can't people leave other people alone?

4) Why are birds not electrocuted when they land on electricity wires?

5) What is time?

6) Why is the Moon sometimes out in the day and sometimes at night?

7) Why did God let my kitten die?

8) Why do I like pink?

9) Why is water wet?

10) Why does my best friend have two dads?


REVIEWS:

It has been another great week for reviews with some very nice things being said about my book. At Amazon I am now up to 94 reviews hoping to make the BIG 100 before my appearance at the BIG E in September.

Here's some snippets from this weeks reviews...

...I was drawn into it the moment I began. It has humor. It has wit. It has love. It has baseball! (everyone loves baseball, right?) It also has an underlying message on a more serious note regarding teens and the potential secrets they keep. I'd highly recommend this book for all ages....seek it out for your next week-END break!

Across the Pond by Storyheart is a cute teenage story about a boy from England who visits a family friend in the United States. I have to say I LOVED this story! It was very cute and completely believable. The main characters Fred and Brittany and wholesome teenagers going through life and dealing with typical teenage issues. Doesn't matter he is from England and she is from the United States. This book reminds me of books I read as a teenager and loved.

This is a book that I would readily recommend for all tweens, preteens and early teens. I believe that it will appeal equally to boys as it would girls, even though it is labeled "romance" it is a well rounded story complete with school yard brawls and sports too!

One of the best features of the book , that was of most interest to me was the cultural comparisons. The main character wants a video game console and in order to get that he has to complete a notebook with words that are different or objects that have different titles in each of the countries. This is humorous and informative and the main reason my own 13 year old step-daughter wants to read it!

I am sure there will be a sequel to this story as the ending had a few possibilities, that hinted at "more to come." The main character, Fred, is a great guy for young ones to relate too, he has a lot of fortitude and great character for a young man which is rare in today's society. An example is set in this story for other youngsters without being "preachy."

Story Heart spins a good yarn and this book is no exception. I believe that everyone will enjoy it and it could quite possibly be made into a movie or TV special! Disney or Hallmark either one would like the components of it!


WEIRD NATURE NEWS:

Some great articles this week...

** Giant 'meat-eating' plant found **

A new species of giant carnivorous plant has been discovered in the highlands of the central Philippines.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_8195000/8195029.stm

** Why flamingos stand on one leg **

It is one of nature's cutest mysteries, and now scientists think they have the answer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_8197000/8197932.stm





Author of Young Adult Romance/Fiction book
"Across the Pond"

No comments:

Post a Comment