Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Dangers of a Public Library

This last week a very interesting article appeared "Across the Pond" which made me think exactly how dangerous can a "Public Library" be?

Camden Council in North London has apologized after a woman was refused the loan of a pair of scissors in a library because she might "stab a member of staff".

Lorna Watts, 26, a self-employed dressmaker, was turned down at "Holborn Library" in central London.

She said: "It's ridiculous - public libraries are supposed to be supportive of small businesses."

A spokeswoman for Camden Council, which runs the library, has apologized and said it would investigate the incident.

Ms Watts, said: "I asked why I couldn't borrow a pair of scissors and she said, 'they are sharp, you might stab me'.

"I then asked to borrow a guillotine to cut up my leaflets but she refused again - because she said I could hit her over the head with it!"

She added: "It's absurd - there are plenty of heavy books I could have hit her with if I wanted to."

"I hardly look very threatening - it's really sad she could not make a commonsense judgement."

This lady then visited another three libraries in North London only to have her request rejected in each of them.

A government Health and Safety Executive said there was no policy in place on lending sharp implements.

"People know their own workplaces and must carry out their own risk assessments", she said.

"But we do ask workplaces to take a common sense approach.

"This could be a case of someone misinterpreting the rules."

A Camden Council spokeswoman said: "We are sorry we have not reached our usual high standards. We will investigate fully as soon as possible."

So hand out the plastic scissors, take away the sharp pencils, and hide all the heavy books. It would seem at least in one part on London library's are dangerous places.

I wonder what would have happened if she'd have asked for a "glue gun"?

Barry





BARRY EVA (Storyheart)

Author of Young Adult Romance/Fiction book
"Across the Pond"

1 comment:

  1. That is truly nuts! But it makes for a fun story, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete