Friday, August 10, 2012

Olympics 2012 - 1 7





Last night I walked up the road to a local pub to meet a mate of mine whom I have not seen for many years to chat about old times and old friends over a pint of beer one could taste and enjoy. Coming home the sun was setting casting a golden glow over the houses. It might have been setting but not for team GB at the Olympics as a further three gold medals spread across the most diverse events were won.


From dancing horses to female boxers to a young girl from Wales who took pride in trying to kick their opponents head off, the strains of “God Save the Queen” once again echoed through the Olympic venues. Add to that the Bolt double and the greatest 800mtrs ever run and you had another wonderful day.

I was invited later on in the evening to be a guest on a Australian radio station to share my views on the Olympics later in the evening which just brought home how small the world is these days, and Englishman, living in the USA is a guest on an Australian radio station to talk about this global event.

The events so far have been watched by 6.9 million people live, and yesterday at the ladies boxing finals it seemed that most of Ireland had been crammed into the arena. The noise within the venue created a higher decibel reading then a jumbo jet taking off. The golds team GB and then the first for Ireland not only showed that female boxing is here to stay in the Olympics but also that these ladies have what it takes. I wondered what happened after the first two bouts yesterday as I bet there was a mass evacuation to local bars to celebrate after those early golds.

In dressage we had horses dancing to music as diverse as “Lion King” and “The Greta escape”, I could swear that the horses were even pointing their toes, rather hooves as they danced across the arena.

Later after another series of athletic highlights on the track a small welsh girl won Britain's first ever gold medal in Taekwondo, another sport which the wonderful Olympic coverage has been brought to the millions of viewers around the world.

On a slightly different note Christian news outlet OneNewsNow.com produced one of the funniest moments over the last few days. They have and automated system to stop the word “gay” being published on their web site, automatically replacing it with “homosexual”. So when they printed a large story about American sprinter “Tyson Gay”, or as they wrote “Tyson Homosexual”.it read...

“It means a lot to me,' the 25-year-old Homosexual said. “I'm glad my body could do it, because now I know I have it in me.”



Barry Eva (Storyheart)

My Blogs:

Book Information and Things UK - Across the Pond

Book and a Chat Radio Show Guests - A Book and a Chat


No comments:

Post a Comment